In Greater New York, the Army serves the neediest communities in 14 counties – including all the boroughs of New York City, Long Island, and the Lower Hudson Valley. As a volunteer you can help us make an even greater impact in these communities by volunteering your time. Below is a list of some of our most popular volunteer opportunities. Don’t see something that takes advantage of what you have to offer? That’s okay! Please feel free to contact us and suggest another way you might help change lives.
• Bell Ringer* - Seasonal
• Clerical work - Weekdays during regular business hours
• Help supervise a field trip for the developmentally disabled - Saturdays
• Soup Kitchen - Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
(Manhattan, minimum commitment of one day per week for four weeks.)
• Homework helper - Weekdays from 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
• Piano or Guitar Teachers - Weeknights
• Toy Shop - Help distribute donated toys to children in need* - Seasonal
• Coordinate a toy drive*
• Coordinate a back-to-school supplies drive*
Many of our opportunities such as serving meals to the homeless, take place on weekdays during regular business hours. Knowing that many of our prospective volunteers have full-time jobs, we understand that this might present a problem, so we’ve marked opportunities with more flexible or evening hours with an asterisk.