Wondering what's happening at the Kroc? Stop in and check out the latest on everything from the newest Fitness class to membership promotions that could save you loads!
April 24th, 2014
Cycling Studio Renovations;
We're giving our Cycling Studio a serious makeover! During these times please enjoy our Cycling classes held outside in our
Pavilion team room. The Pavilion classroom can be found between our Horticulture Zone and Athletic Field. If you need further directions to get to it, speak with one our Fitness Specialists or our Welcome Desk. The renovations will change the Cycling classes to the below dates & times Get pedaling!
- Thursday, May 1st
- Friday, May 2nd
- Saturday, May 3rd
- Monday, May 5th
April 1st, 2014
Wednesday's Special at the Kroc Café
This month, stop by the Kroc Café and try our Curry Chicken Pita Pocket! This delicious, under 500 calorie, dish will be served each Wednesday.
Curious for the recipe? Try this one, from EatingWell.com:
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1 ripe but firm pear, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 4 4- to 5-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 2 cups sprouts
Tips & Notes
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise and curry powder in a large bowl. Add chicken, pear, celery, cranberries and almonds; toss to combine.
- Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup chicken salad and 1/4 cup sprouts.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, poach about 12 ounces chicken breast for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breast in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
To toast sliced or slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Per serving: 323 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono);58 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 6 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (17% daily value).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
April 1st, 2014
Girls Basketball Program
The Salvation Army Kroc Center is proud to, once again, partner with Katie at the Bat Team to create a girls basketball and character-building program for young ladies (ages 14 - 18). The program will focus on fitness & nutrition education, self-esteem building, positive communication skills, and, of course, basketball! Inquire today at our Recreation Center or at the Welcome Desk.
This 6 week program will be held Monday evenings from 6:30-8:30pm.
February 27th, 2014
Kroc Jazz Band
Our Performing Arts Department is creating a community jazz ensemble open to players looking for a chance to play quality music; from Count Basie to Chick Corea and everywhere in-between. Open to Trumpets, Trombones, Saxophones, and Rhythm Section.
If you're interested in joining or need more information, contact our Performing Arts Manager, Jason Collier at 215-558-1585 or by email at Jason.Collier@use.salvationarmy.org
We know you have talent, it's time to show it!
January 29th, 2014
Kroc All-Star Challenge
Get ready! We are aiming to provide our members with the opportunity to experience All-Star basketball events just like the Pros. Join us for music, fun and activities for members of all ages! Boys and Girls welcome! Participants will be placed into one of three age groups ( 13 & under, 14-17, and 18 & over). Winners will receive prizes from our Café. Sign up for FREE in the Gym and enjoy one of three classic games:
- Skills Challenge: Participants will work against the 45-second clock to compete in an obstacle course consisting of a series of passes, free throws, lay-ups and agility drills. Friday, at 5:00pm
- 3-Point Contest: Long range shooters will attempt to score the most three-pointers in a race against the clock. 30 seconds will be given to take as many shots as possible. Friday, at 5:00pm
- 3 -On- 3 Competition: A simple half-court basketball game to see which teams will leave with the bragging rights as Kroc champs! Saturday, at 2:00pm
January 23rd, 2014
President's Day Swim Meet
Coming in February, The Salvation Army Kroc Center will be hosting the 2nd Annual Jimmy Moran President's Day Throw Down over the weekend of the 14th through the 16th. What does this mean for our Kroc Members? Certain competition pool and water park schedule changes will be in effect during that weekend:
We thank you for your support of this event and wish you a wonderful President's Day Weekend!
- Water Park lap lanes will be closed from 4:00pm Friday 2/14 through Sunday 2/16 and open at 5:30am on Monday 2/17.
- Competition Pool will close at 12:00pm (noon) on Friday 2/14, through the weekend, re-opening Monday 2/17 at 5:30am.
January 2nd, 2014
Inclement Weather Protocol
To receive information regarding center or schedule changes due to inclement weather, please contact us at 215-717-1200 (chose option #6), or follow us on Twitter @SalArmyKroc. You can also text keyword SAKROC to 51555 to receive instant messages when our operating hours change due to bad weather. While the center will strive to remain open in snowy (or icy) conditions, we do follow the City of Philadelphia's recommendations for business closure when the roads are deemed unsafe for travel - thank you for your understanding!
Thursday, October 10th, 2013
Muisc Interns Wanted! Get valuable hands-on teaching experience, mentorship from trained and experienced teachers, performance opportunities & a free Kroc Center membership. Interested? Contact Jason Collier at
215.558.1585 or by email at
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013
Friendly Reminders: Age Restrictions
We pledge to work hard to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all who use our services during this busy summer season. Please note that our age requirements will be strictly enforced:
- Children under age 13 are required to have parent/guardian supervision while participating in center activities, unless such activities are scheduled and supervised by Kroc Center staff.
- Children under age 13 are not permitted in our fitness areas (for those under age 16, we offer age-appropriate group exercise classes).
- Children under age 18 are not permitted in the warm water jet pool.