In 1865, William Booth spent his days and nights preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute people of London, England. In his attempt to reach these people, Booth challenged the accepted concept of church and took his preaching to the streets. Booth traveled throughout England conducting evangelistic meetings. Booth's services were an instant success. He quickly became well known as a religious leader throughout London and attracted followers who were dedicated to fighting for the souls of men and women.
In 1867, Booth had only 10 full-time workers, but by 1874, Booth's followers had grown to 1,000 volunteers and 42 evangelists. At this time, the group was serving under the name "The Christian Mission." The group officially adopted the title of "The Salvation Army" in August of 1878.
The ministry migrated to America in 1885, where The Salvation Army's first meeting took place in Philadelphia. Later that year, in November, the first Salvationists established a presence in downtown Cincinnati.
After receiving a warm welcome, The Salvation Army expanded its operation throughout the United States. Today, there are more than 9,000 Salvation Army centers and local neighborhood units in the United States.
In Cincinnati, The Salvation Army dates its earliest presence to 1885, when Salvationists first came to preach the Gospel and began to offer social services to the poorest of the poor. In 2010, The Salvation Army in Greater Cincinnati celebrated 125 years of service to the local community.
We invite you to view this video, which provides a helpful overview of the services The Salvation Army in Greater Cincinnati has provided for more than 125 years...
For more detailed information and an in-depth look at the history of The Salvation Army, visit
The International Heritage Centre: