Salvation Army of Southern California

Accessibility Navigation

Top Navigation:

Who We Are / Serving Cleveland since 1872

Serving Cleveland since 1872

Cleveland Dedication Stone
Above: The work of The Christian Mission, forerunner of The Salvation Army began
July 1, 1872. This Dedication Stone
marks the beginnings of The Salvation
Army in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Salvation Army in Cleveland was first known as The Christian Mission. It represented one of the organization's first U.S. outpost, operating from 1872-1876 and reorganized as The Salvation Army on Oct. 29, 1883. 

The first group was established by a British cabinetmaker and lay preacher, James Jermy, who had worked with The Salvation Army founder William Booth, and local preacher James Fakler.  They held open-air meetings in front of saloons in the Haymarket district and published a paper, the Mission Harvester.  Fakler left Cleveland in 1874, Jermy in 1875; and The Christian Mission closed in 1876.

The Salvation Army came to Cleveland again when four "soldiers" attracted audiences at open-air gospel meetings in the Haymarket district.  They soon established headquarters at the corner of Hill and Commercial Street and began to offer Saturday night dinners to the needy.

By 1907, The Salvation Army had five corps in Cleveland.  In addition to religious activities, many other services were offered including prison visitation, employment, missing-persons, "anti-suicide," day nursery, salvage services, an orchestra, and two workingmen's hotels.  “Slum officers” investigated applicants before providing coal, clothing, bedding, furniture, and other basic needs.

 

First Salvation Army Building in Cleveland, Ohio 1889.

First Salvation Army Building in Cleveland Ohio!



First known photograph of the Cleveland Salvation Army Brass Band. Date Unknown.

First Cleveland Band Photo