In the Capital City Region
A Year at a Glance - '11-‘12
Almost 20,000 people in Dauphin, Cumberland and Perry Counties benefited from the diverse outreach programs provided by The Salvation Army Harrisburg Capital City Region in the past year.
- FAMILY & BASIC NEEDS SERVICES:
- 71,850 food assists for children, seniors and families. 35% of assists were meals for children
- 9,394 clothing assists and 2,566 additional assists with furniture and household needs
- 1,073 households received utility assistance to maintain heat and water for their homes
- Weekly programs, meals and small group support for senior citizens
- NEW! H.A.V.E. (Hope & Vision Endeavor) Self Sufficiency Program : 160 clients benefited from one-on-one case management, small group workshops and educational sessions and personal contact with our HAVE caseworker to help them achieve stability and positive progress towards self-sufficiency.
- CHILDREN & YOUTH: 1,094 children and youth participated in our programs aimed at providing at-risk youth with the opportunities and tools to break the cycle of poverty and dependency. Programs include: Summer Youth Enrichment; Bridging the Gap; afterschool programs and Basketball Mentoring
- MERRY CHRISTMAS 2012!
- 1,356 seniors and families (including 3,330 children!) received assistance during the holidays
Doing the Most Good....Together
How can you help?
Donate! Support local Salvation Army programs for families in need and at-risk children and youth.
- Volunteer! Opportunities for individuals, families and groups. Host a Christmas in July activity; help with daily breakfast feeding program; clerical assistance; assist at afterschool or summer programs for kids; host a special project to benefit The Salvation Army....the opportunities are endless!
- Christmas! Red Kettle Volunteers; Adopt-a-Family; Adopt-a-Senior; Organize a toy or food drive; Purchase Giving Tree "wish list" gifts for kids; "Battle of the Bells" friendly competition for groups
- Something different! Make The Salvation Army the beneficiary of special projects at your business, school, church or community group. Dress Down Days. Christmas in July. Desktop Red Kettle Competitions. Be creative! Salvation Army staff will work with you to provide ideas, speakers and/or materials to ensure a positive team-building experience for you and your group.
For almost 150 years, The Salvation Army has been efficiently and effectively meeting needs.
Get Involved today! And help us make a difference in the lives of people in our community.
Questions? Contact Kathy Anderson-Martin, Director of Philanthropy,
717-233-6755 ext. 114
PO Box 61798, Harrisburg PA 17106