Released 23 July 2014
Need Comes in Many Forms: The Salvation Army Christmas in July Program Fair Preview
Year-round, The Salvation Army of Greater Philadelphia works hard to do the most good for the most people in the most need. You may be familiar with our annual red kettles and bell ringing at special times of year, but did you know we also work to accomplish this mission in other ways? For instance:
- Did you know The Salvation Army provides a support network for women dealing with domestic violence to connect with other victims?
- Did you know The Salvation Army gives aspiring chefs the opportunity to learn the culinary arts and be placed in the job of their dreams?
- Did you know The Salvation Army offers an anti-human trafficking program to fight against and support victims of sexual trafficking?
- Did you know The Salvation Army provides housing for seniors with special programming? From gardening to exercise activities we devote our time to keeping seniors healthy and active.
- Did you know The Salvation Army offers safe and sanitary housing, along with nutritious meals for single women and families dealing with homelessness?
Need comes in many forms. In order to meet that need, The Salvation Army offers numerous programs to help our less fortunate neighbors deal with any number of hardships. Many of them will be highlighted at The Salvation Army of Greater Philadelphia's Christmas in July Program Fair on July 31. Members of the Philadelphia community are encouraged to attend this free public event to learn more about Salvation Army programming, how to support and how to get involved.
"Whether it is homelessness, hunger, or domestic violence, need presents itself in a variety of ways," said Major Hester Dixon, associate director of operations for The Salvation Army of Greater Philadelphia. "Our goal is to meet hardship wherever it is, and be a beacon of hope for those in need of assistance."
At the fair, neighborhood Salvation Army corps community centers and social service programs will have the opportunity to share information about their impactful programming with donors and community supporters face to face. Attendees can speak with our commanding officers and program directors directly and learn about the many ways The Salvation Army is strengthening their neighborhoods. Sponsors, volunteers and friends are all welcome.
"We are blessed to be in a position to help our neighbors in need conquer their hardships," said Susan Brotherton, director of The Salvation Army of Greater Philadelphia's Social Service Ministries. "When our neighbors need assistance, we want to be there to lend a hand and lift them up. Community support helps us to do that, and we're excited to showcase the good work that was made possible by every dollar donated."
What: The Salvation Army Christmas in July Program Fair
When: Thursday, July 31, 2014. 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Where: The Salvation Army Temple Corps Community Center, 1340 Brown Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
Contact Samantha Brennan at Samantha.Brennan@use.salvationarmy.org or 215-787-5964 for more information.
You can help The Salvation Army do the most good for our neighbors in need with a simple text message. Text the word SHARE to 41444, to make a donation of any amount using your credit card.